Your wedding gown is the most important dress that you will ever purchase. Naturally, you want it to be perfectly fitted. This is where expert alterations come in! Here is a brief summary of what to expect when it comes to couture bridal alterations on your existing off-the-rack wedding dress.
We provide these services for having your gown altered or suit tailored.
- Resizing wedding dresses, either up or down, for the perfect fit
- Raising or lowering the waistline of a gown
- Designing bustle on any bridal gown
- Hem shortening, including adding layers to the dress
- Hemming bridal gowns with decorations, beads, and applications
- Restyling vintage heirloom bridal gowns
- Converting a gown’s shape to A-line or mermaid
- Adding or removing straps
- Adding or removing sleeves
- Adding sleeves, beading, and/or bra pads to the existing dress
- Adding trim, lace, and beads to a veil, or creating a custom-designed veil
- Creating convertible/detachable skirts to have two different looks in one wedding dress (ex, one long-train look for ceremony; another short-skirt look for dance)
- Lowering either the neckline or the back of the dress
- Making a sweetheart neckline
- Custom designed flower hair ornaments to match the bridal gown
- Custom made jackets, bolero jackets, stoles, and sashes, perfectly matched to the style of your sleeveless bridal gown
- Tailoring outfits for the groom or best man, including custom made ties and cummerbunds, for flawless coordination with your gorgeous bride and her ladies
Custom designed bridal bolero jacket
Colored sash belt for your wedding dress.
|Wedding Dress Alterations||Plain Fabric||Lace/beading|
|Hem (with horsehair braid)||$95||$145 and up|
|Hem with long train||$140||$190 and up|
|Hem lace layer with beads/sequins/applique||$180||$220 and up|
|Additional hem layer||$25-40|
|Sides Take in/out||$75||$95 and up|
|Insert extra side panels||$85||$100|
|Take in at center-back zipper||$75||$95 and up|
|Replace zipper||$75||$105 and up|
|Replace zipper by lace-up back||$100||$150 and up|
|Bustle train up to 4 points||$80|
|Each additional bustling point||$10|
|Sew in cups/bra||$30|
|Modesty panel / corset back||$180|
|Make bridal buttons each||$3|
|Sew bridal buttons||$2|
* Prices will vary depending on complexity of design, fabrics, and finishing of dress.
The first thing to understand about wedding gowns off the rack is that almost all of them will require some alterations. At the bare minimum, you will need to have the gown hemmed for your shoe height and have the bustle put in place. Most brides will need quite a bit more than that, from having the bust adjusted to taking in or letting out the waist, to smoothing out all of the little bubbles and ripples that are a natural part of the way fabric lays on an individual body (as opposed to the mannequin’s body). An average bride will need only one fitting, but if you are making significant changes, please expect to need more.
At the fitting, be prepared with your well-fitted undergarments and the heels that you are planning to wear with the wedding dress.
You will definitely want to bring along your mother or bridesmaids to this fitting so that they can receive instructions on how to help get you into the gown on the wedding day, as well as tips on bustling. This is also your chance to see your entire bridal ensemble together, so be certain to bring your heels, veil, headpiece, and bridal jewelry.
In the end, your wedding gown should fit like a glove, and looks as if it were made just for you. This way, when you wear your very own custom fit wedding gown down the aisle, you are sure to feel fabulous!